Forest Lawn Museum
Forest Lawn Cemetery is home to the Forest Lawn Museum, a small museum with constantly changing exhibits. The museum features religious and historical art. It is open to the public free of charge, and is a great place to visit with the family. The cemetery also has other interesting attractions, including a gazebo, playground, and walking trails. There are also a few restaurants and shops within the cemetery. While the museum is small, it contains many interesting pieces of art. You can visit the museum at 1712 S Glendale Ave, Glendale, CA 91205.
The Forest Lawn Museum's permanent art collection includes original bronze and marble sculptures. The museum also features stained glass windows from William Randolph Hearst's collection. The windows feature the Gothic and French styles and reflect the artistry of the time period. The art collection includes works from many different religious and spiritual traditions.
Founded in 1952, the Forest Lawn Museum is dedicated to educating and enriching the community. Its collections include American and European sculpture, as well as paintings and stained glass. A highlight of the exhibition is the monumental painting of the Crucifixion by Jan Styka, which stands over 195 feet high and forty-five feet wide.
The Court of David in the Forest Lawn Museum features a seventeen-foot-tall statue of David. The original David was sculpted by Michelangelo Buonarotti and installed in 1880. The original David fell in 1971, but the Forest Lawn Museum has two replicas in the museum.
The Little Church of the Flowers was the first church built at Forest Lawn. It was inspired by a village church in Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire. The famous English poet Thomas Gray wrote the famous poem in the churchyard of this village. The architect of Forest Lawn wanted to recreate the 600-year-old parish church at the park. He began commissioning the design in 1917.
The Judson Studio Exhibit is another highlight of the museum. It is free and features a changing array of topics. It is open Tuesday through Sunday, from 10 AM to 5 PM. The museum also features an impressive permanent collection. If you enjoy historical art, this is an excellent place to visit.
The Museum is home to a great collection of historic stained glass. Some of these pieces are quite rare and are well worth the visit. The beautiful stained glass panels are German and French. The windows date from the thirteenth to the sixteenth centuries. Highlights include a portrait of St. Andrew and Pope Sixtus II, which was made by the Hirschvogel Workshop in Nuremberg, after an Albrecht Durer drawing.
The Hall of the Crucifixion-Resurrection features the largest religious canvas painting in the world, the Crucifixion by Jan Styka. The painting is 195 feet long and 45 feet wide, making it a masterpiece of art. In addition to viewing the painting, there is a narrated history of the Crucifixion.